It has been a very long winter. In fact, the weather historians say that you have had more snow in the month of February than any other time since records were first kept back in 1908. On top of that, the temperatures have been below the area averages for weeks as well. The late winter, early spring flooding has also been historic. Perhaps all of these reasons are why when the sun finally came out and temperatures warmed for the first time in months you made a point of getting out the electric skateboard motor and hitting the road.
Skateboards have been a part of your life for years, and even as an adult you enjoy any time you get to enjoy your powered longboard and are excited about the electric skateboard motor that you purchased last year.
Powered Longboards Are a Perfect Way to Spend the First Warm Day of Spring
The latest research indicates that there are 16 million skateboarders in the U.S., and more than 21 internationally, including the U.S. As the market for skateboarding continues to expand beyond elementary age kids into growing teenagers and even adults it should come as no surprise that there are now as many as 11 million people who self report that they enjoy skateboarding on a regular basis.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the skateboarding industry and the impact that it has on people who are thrilled to be done with winter, as well as the economy of the nation:
- As an indicator that skateboarders are getting older. 71% of the group were in the 12 to 17 age demographic in 2006. Today, in comparison, only 45% are in the 12 to 17 age range.
- It is estimated that as many as 20% of those who have stepped on a skateboard in the last year actually skate regularly and actively work to build their skateboarding skills.
- The first female professional skateboarder was Patti McGee, a shredder who turned pro clear back in the year1964.
- Another indicator of the rich history of the sport, the Ollie, a popular skateboarding trick, is credited to and named after Alan Ollie Gelfand, and was invented back in 1978.
- A mere 3.1% of skateboard sales occur in sporting goods stores, serving as an indicator that this sport has a huge online presence, as well as a seller to customer small shop platform.
If you live in a part of the country where you have been dealing with lots of snow, ice, and cold temperatures, then you want to make sure your board is ready when that first warm day rolls around! With the latest electric skateboard motor, in fact, you can easily revisit all of the places that you have not seen during these long winter months.